Ask Student Connect

Find quick answers to FAQs about admissions and more!

Simply enter your question below and click "Ask."

Closest match to your question:

Can I take classes at the U of A after my degree is complete?

You can attend the University of Alberta as a Special Student if you have completed a previous university degree and wish to enrol in additional undergraduate courses (e.g. for professional development, or to try to improve your GPA for admission to another program).

As a Special Student, the courses you take will be for credit, in that you will be graded and they will appear on your record, but they will not count towards a degree program. Instead, the credits you earn can be evaluated for transfer credit should you later apply to a degree program, either at the University of Alberta or another institution.

Enrolment for Special-Student applicants can sometimes be limited, as priority is given to degree-program applicants, and certain courses may not be open to Special Students.

To be considered for admission as a Special Student, you must have already received a university degree in a related field from an accredited postsecondary institution. You must also present a competitive admission (grade point) average and meet the Language Requirements

In some cases, you must reapply each year as a Special Student, and priority may be given to students who have not previously attended as Special Students.

Before you apply as a Special Student, please contact the faculty you are interested in studying with. Note that deadlines for Special Students are slightly different than those for regular degree programs. When you are ready to apply, complete the online Admission application form


How helpful was this answer?

Still haven't found the answer you're looking for?

Contact Student Connect using our online form.

Student Connect

Student Connect provides services from the Office of the Registrar to current and prospective undergraduate and graduate students. Services are provided online, by phone, and in person.
Learn more »


Email: Contact Form »
Phone: 780.492.3113
Toll-Free: 1.855.492.3113
Fax: 780.492.7172

If you need your CCID password reset, please call or visit us as we will need to verify your identity over the phone or in person.

Mailing Address:
Administration Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
T6G 2M7

Office Hours (MST):
Monday - Tuesday: 8:15 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Wednesday: 10 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Thursday - Friday: 8:15 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.

Closed for all Canadian public holidays and other university closures.