Ask Student Connect

Find quick answers to FAQs about admissions and more!

Simply enter your question below and click "Ask."

Closest match to your question:

Do you offer any benefits or funds to veterans?

Veterans Affairs Canada offers eligible veterans up to $80,000 in funding for post-secondary training at the University of Alberta or for career or personal development courses to help them feel satisfied with their main post-military job.

This benefit can only be provided once a member has been released from service on or after April 1, 2006. Those with at least six years of service are eligible to receive up to $40,000, and those with at least twelve years of service are eligible to receive up to $80,000.

You can apply online (if you are registered for My VAC Account), by mail, or in person to receive the Education and Training Benefit. Once you have submitted your application, you can expect a decision within four weeks. You have up to ten years after your release date to use the available funding. 

You may also consider the Career Transition Services program if you're interested in access to trained career coaches that can help you achieve your career goals.

Learn more about the Veterans Affairs Education and Training Benefit application process here or by visiting the frequently asked questions page.

If you are still a serving member, you can apply for the benefit but your application won't be processed until your release and you've notified Veterans Affairs Canada of your release. It's recommended that you do not apply more than six months in advance of your release because your years of service will determine the amount of funding you are eligible to receive. For more information on education and training for serving members, contact your chain of command or visit the National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces website

How helpful was this answer?

Still haven't found the answer you're looking for?

Contact Student Connect using our online form.

Student Connect

Student Connect provides services from the Office of the Registrar to current and prospective undergraduate and graduate students. Services are provided online, by phone, and in person.
Learn more »


Email: Contact Form »
Phone: 780.492.3113
Toll-Free: 1.855.492.3113
Fax: 780.492.7172

If you need your CCID password reset, please call or visit us as we will need to verify your identity over the phone or in person.

Mailing Address:
Administration Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
T6G 2M7

Office Hours (MST):
Monday - Tuesday: 8:15 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Wednesday: 10 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Thursday - Friday: 8:15 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.

Closed for all Canadian public holidays and other university closures.