Ask Student Connect

Find quick answers to FAQs about admissions and more!

Simply enter your question below and click "Ask."

Closest match to your question:

How do I update my citizenship status?

 If your immigration status changes after your initial application to the University of Alberta, you will need to submit official documentation to the Office of the Registrar in order to have your status changed. Undergraduate students, please submit documents to Student Connect. If you are a graduate student please take your documentation to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.

If your immigration status changes to Permanent Resident of Canada and you are an undergraduate student, please bring your original Confirmation of Permanent Residence form completed and signed by an immigration official or Permanent Resident card that was issued from Citizenship and Immigration Canada to Student Connect to be copied and certified by the Office of the Registrar. 

If your immigration status changes to Canadian Citizen and you are an undergraduate student, please bring your original Certificate of Canadian Citizenship or Canadian passport to Student Connect. 
If you are unable to visit us in person, you can request a citizenship status change by mail. Provide a Certified True Copy of the original documentation. A Certified True Copy is a photocopy of the original document attested to by a Guarantor. Scanned and faxed copies of the documentation are not accepted.  

Your guarantor cannot be a relative and must be in one of the following groups:

  • Minister of religion
  • Signing Officer of a banking institution
  • Legal professional (including a police officer)
  • University instructor
  • Teacher or school principal
  • Person occupying a senior administrative position at a university or community college
  • Medical professional
  • Professional accountant or engineer
  • Mayor
  • Postmaster

Note: Your Guarantor's name, position, and original signature must appear on the photocopy of your documentation, as well as the date signed, if you are presenting it as a Certified True Copy. 

How helpful was this answer?

Still haven't found the answer you're looking for?

Contact Student Connect using our online form.

Student Connect

Student Connect provides services from the Office of the Registrar to current and prospective undergraduate and graduate students. Services are provided online, by phone, and in person.
Learn more »


Email: Contact Form »
Phone: 780.492.3113
Toll-Free: 1.855.492.3113
Fax: 780.492.7172

If you need your CCID password reset, please call or visit us as we will need to verify your identity over the phone or in person.

Mailing Address:
Administration Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
T6G 2M7

Office Hours (MST):
Monday - Tuesday: 8:15 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Wednesday: 10 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Thursday - Friday: 8:15 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.

Closed for all Canadian public holidays and other university closures.