Ask Student Connect

Find quick answers to FAQs about admissions and more!

Simply enter your question below and click "Ask."

Closest match to your question:

What are the admission requirements for after-degree programs?

Like all undergraduate programs, admission to after-degree programs is competitive. Check our program search tool or the University Calendar for the specific requirements for a given program.

Typically, a 3- or 4-year degree from an accredited institution will be required (the School of Business only accepts 4-year degrees).

After-degree programs typically take between 30 to 90 Units of Course Weight (UCW), or one to three years of full-time study, to complete, depending on what previous degree/coursework was completed, and from which institution. This will also vary by faculty.

If your previous degree was completed at the U of A, as little as 30 UCW (one year of full-time study) may be required in order to complete the after-degree. If your previous degree or studies were completed at another institution, a minimum of 60 UCW (two years of full-time study) will be required to complete the after-degree.

The Business, Education, and Nursing after-degree programs each have specific prerequisites. If these prerequisites were not satisfied in the previous degree, they will need to be completed prior to commencing the after degree. Once the prerequisites are met, these after-degree programs require an additional 60 UCW to complete.

The Arts, Science, and Native Studies after-degree programs do not have specific prerequisites. The number of UCW required to complete the after-degree will depend on the discipline of the first degree and where it was completed. 

For faculties that do not offer after-degree programs, you would have to submit an application for admission to that faculty and complete all the required coursework in order to earn the degree. When applying, any relevant coursework you have taken either at the U of A or at another institution would assessed on a course by course basis for transferability. 

How helpful was this answer?

Still haven't found the answer you're looking for?

Contact Student Connect using our online form.

Student Connect

Student Connect provides services from the Office of the Registrar to current and prospective undergraduate and graduate students. Services are provided online, by phone, and in person.
Learn more »


Email: Contact Form »
Phone: 780.492.3113
Toll-Free: 1.855.492.3113
Fax: 780.492.7172

If you need your CCID password reset, please call or visit us as we will need to verify your identity over the phone or in person.

Mailing Address:
Administration Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
T6G 2M7

Office Hours (MST):
Monday - Tuesday: 8:15 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Wednesday: 10 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Thursday - Friday: 8:15 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.

Closed for all Canadian public holidays and other university closures.